Wednesday, May 7, 2008

[: First Entry :]

Here we go!
I've tried doing this sort of thing about ten times over, but never managed to stick to it. However, with the changes in my lifestyle, and the adventures lying ahead of me I thought it'd be a good idea to attempt one more time!
My main reason for starting this blog is what I have lying ahead of me. In three months time I'm flying out of New Zealand and heading off to Ireland for a one-year highschool exchange. New country. New environment. New family. New school. New friends. New adventures. And it feels like it's just creeping around the corner!
I only applied about a month ago, and now everything is in full swing. I've already had a meeting, an interview, an acceptance, and the first two batches of paperwork sent out! I only wish I'd started recording the whole process from the beginning, but hey, better late than never!
It's really scary when I think about it. I'm only seventeen, and I've lived all my life in nice ol' New Zealand. I've had quite a sheltered upbringing [compared to others anyway] and have had no real trauma or anything. And then, in three months I'm going to leave everything I have here for something completly different. I cannot wait! But I'm dead terrorfied at the same time.
There are so many people I'm going to miss! My family, friends, boyfriend, pets...even my enemies! I don't want to have to put my effort into hating them from the other side of the planet!
Well, I guess this is enough of an introduction into my current situation.
I'm sure nobody is going to read this, but at least I'm documenting it all.
Here's hoping I stick to this!
-Rachel

2 comments:

Jonny Louis said...

oh my god. i am incredibly jealous. i really really want to do the overseas highschool exhange thing. up until recently i've been the most anxious person and would never have considered it. but now that i've come out of that phase i feel i've left it a bit too late. i couldn't imagine not spending my last few months of highschool with my friends.
i am still thinking about doing it next year or while i'm at university. it sounds like the most amazingly life changingly awesome thing that someone could do and also in terms of travelling to a far away country i think that doing an exchange would be great because you get to meet great people through school and experience what life is like growing up in adifferent country and you wouldn't really get that any other way.

wow, i rambled heaps. anyway what i'm trying to say is you are really lucky, have heaps of fun.


ooh and what company are you doing it through?

Rachel Alcorn said...

I know! I still can't believe it's happening. It doesn't quite feel real yet. And I am sad about that fact I'm going to miss my last year of highshool, the Leavers' Ball, all my friends 18ths, and so much more!
But I know I have to do it. HAVE TO!
And I say, if you're ready then just apply. Do it! Don't let anything hold you back.
I'm doing it through Education First - www.ef.co.nz
It's really good, and they have heaps of other options, not just highschool exchange. At least check it out!